The latest reports are saying the earthquake in Japan on March 11th, could become the most expensive earthquake in history. I was at South by Southwest Interactive (SXSWi) surrounded by the best and brightest in the techie and social media space when I heard about the tsunami. For the following days I saw tweets, instagram photos, Facebook updates, and blog posts of people rallying the support of their friends and network to donate a few dollars or post a donation link on their blog. Mashable’s
Japan Earthquake & Tsunami: 7 Simple Ways to Help post has over 15,000 Facebook shares and 6,000 tweets.
The 7 ways include:
- Text to Donate
- Donate via Facebook
- Buy Virtual Goods (games and apps are donating money)
- Embed a Donation Bar on your Blog/Website
- “Like” a Cause page on Facebook that is donating per number of new fans
- Tweet (specific hashtags)
- Donate via iTunes
The Social Media Club of Dallas has an 8th option – attend an event! SMCDallas along with (in no particular order) AAJA, AIGA, AAF Dallas, DFW AMA, DFW SEM, IABC Dallas, PRSA Dallas, Texas Young Professionals (whew that’s a lot of acronyms) and growing number of individuals are joining together with a goal of raising at least $3,000 for the American Red Cross.
The event is Thursday, March 24th from 7-9pm at Aloft Dallas Downtown. All proceeds from ticket sales ($10) will benefit the American Red Cross to support the Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami Fund. Buy your ticket and add any additional donation you’d like at http://dallas4japan.eventbrite.com/.
As an individual, you can:
- Register and attend the event on Thursday
- Share this post on Facebook and Twitter
- Tweet: Join #Dallas4Japan on 3/24 http://bit.ly/dal4jap
- Invite your friends on Facebook
We are also looking for corporate support:
- Corporate sponsors to offset costs of venue and food and drinks for each attendee
- Corporate matching sponsors to match 1 for 1 or near there for the money we raise as a result of the event.